Have you wondered how you can drive smarter to make your fuel consumption more efficient? Did you know you can lower your driving impact on the environment? Have you heard about low emission vehicles, but don’t really know how it all works?
Canadians have an awesome FREE opportunity to learn about these very things AND earn points to enter draws for cash prizes! What??? Yes! For real!
Smart Drive Challenge is engaging Canadians in a national education-centered points-based program to reduce their personal vehicle fuel use and greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. Smart Drive Challenge educates and empowers Canadians by:
- Making their current vehicle use more efficient through improved driving techniques and vehicle maintenance;
- Increasing their awareness and use of low and zero emission vehicles; and
- Supporting and increasing their use of sustainable transportation options
So how does the Smart Drive Challenge work?
2) Once you’ve registered, you’ll have access to a learning dashboard where you can complete online courses and access learning resources. The responsive training tools work on any device and can be used anytime, anywhere.
3) When you finish the training, you can apply your newfound knowledge by becoming a smarter driver. You will be rewarded with points for applying your knowledge, and points can be used to win cash prizes! The more you learn, the more you earn, and the more chances you have to win!
Is the Smart Drive Challenge actually worth your time?
YES!! I registered and completed the ecoDriving course. It provided some great tips for reducing fuel consumption within my everyday driving habits, as well as vehicle maintenance tips, and information on newer technologies to consider for future vehicle purchases. It is a really easy-to-use interface that is interactive, and you can choose to read what is being said if that’s quicker for you than watching the videos.
Did you know that if all Canadian drivers practised smart driving, we could prevent 6 billion tonnes of carbon dioxide from entering the atmosphere?
Did you know that 10 seconds of idling uses more fuel than it takes to restart a vehicle?
These are just a few of the nuggets from the course (which you can start and stop at any time, and takes about 25 minutes in total). I also really like the resources that are provided. There’s a simple one on how to calculate fuel consumption, and you can even download Natural Resources Canada’s Fuel Consumption Guide to compare vehicles that are on the market.
I have to drive for work because it’s part of my job. I try to work from home when I can to avoid driving when I can. But it’s nice to know that there are ways I can lower my impact even when I AM driving. And the Smart Drive Challenge is the perfect resource for helping everyday Canadians to change our transportation habits. We NEED to change to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, to save fuel and money.
Why not start that change now when you have some incentive of cash prizes? RIGHT???
Will you take the Smart Drive Challenge?
Smart Drive Challenge is a program of Scout Environmental and is brought to you by the Canadian Fuels Association with funding support provided by Natural Resources Canada, BC’s Ministry of Energy and Mines and Nova Scotia’s Connect2 program. Smart Drive Challenge is delivered in collaboration with Alberta Motor Association, BC’s Capital Regional District, Cowichan Valley Regional District, City of Edmonton (yes my own hometown!), Clean Air Hamilton and Smart Commute.
Scout Environmental (Scout) is a not-for-profit organization that specializes in the development, delivery and management of creative programs that engage people on issues related to the environment.
(Disclosure: This is a sponsored post. All opinions expressed are my own.)