My daughter requested chocolate cake for her birthday party, so I set out to find a healthier recipe. I found this one and decided to try it with a few modifications. I also decided to do a chocolate cream cheese icing so I’ve also included my recipe for that below.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8×8 square baking pan or 8" round spring-form pan with parchment paper, or grease with coconut oil.
- Stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- In a stand mixer, or separate large bowl, beat the coconut oil and sugar for 10 minutes.
- Put in the vanilla and eggs and beat for 3 minutes.
- Put in half the flour mixture and beat gently.
- Put in the sour cream and beat gently.
- Put in the remaining flour mixture and beat gently until everything is well incorporated. Turn up the speed for ten seconds.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for about 35 minutes. Cool prior to cutting or icing.
- Using a stand mixer, beat the ingredients together until well mixed.
- Spoon over cooled cake and spread with spatula or spoon. Icing will stay soft after refrigeration.
We served our cake with coconut milk ice cream. Delicious!
What’s your favourite chocolate cake recipe?
(Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you choose to purchase products via these links, a small percentage of the sale will be given to me at no extra cost to you. Thanks for supporting juicygreenmom.ca!)