I’ve already written a review about some of the amazing ethical and sustainable underwear and sleepwear available at Underables. I was so thrilled find out about Underables because I have definitely found it difficult to find green clothing in the underwear and sleepwear department. I’m really excited to have gotten a chance to chat with Cher about how it all started.
1. What made you decide to start Underables?
It’s been a lifelong dream to run my own business, I’m not crafty and don’t sew, so I decided to curate! Some of the brands in the shop I’ve been following for years. The idea was sparked when I saw a GOAT-MILK ad about 8 years ago, before I had kids. I just loved their simple aesthetic, use of black and white stripes and organic cotton. Since then, I’ve been on the lookout for ethical, sustainable and charitable brands with a fun, modern aesthetic. When I left the film industry to have my kids, I knew that’s what I wanted to do. It’s taken a few years to accomplish and nowI’m so happy to finally be able to bring some of these amazing brands to Canada.
2. What is your selection criteria for brands you carry?
The brands must have ethical aspects to their production process, and be either sustainable or charitable. For instance, all of our baby clothes are organic cotton, if they are made overseas, we assess that the production process is mindful, with safe working conditions and fair wages. Some of our brands go above and beyond these requirements, this kind of transparency is what we are looking for. I’m so proud to parter with these brands and designers, their commitment to the 3 P’s (people, planet, profit) is inspiring.
3. How are you keeping your business green and sustainable?
It’s important for me to walk the talk when it comes to sustainability. We use eco-friendly packaging, our poly-mailers are made from 100% recycled content, as is our tissue paper, mailing labels and business cards. I’m excited to have partnered with US based BlueDot Register, they work with businesses big and small to reduce their carbon footprint. We are an online shop, the thought of all that travel between importing and shipping is not ideal. We have proudly been certified carbon neutral, all items in our online shop have been assessed from point of origin of the raw material, to import and shipping to your door.
4. What are your top 4 tips for living more sustainably?
1. Eco-friendly cleaning products. This is a must, for your health, the earth, the water and the fishies… my favourite home cleaners are by Aspen Clean. The cost is higher but they work SO well. Also baking soda and vinegar will do wonders for sinks, tubs, toilets and pipes.
2. Use recycled toilet paper, it’s soft, not like it was 10 years ago! I always buy recycled, the thought of wiping with fresh trees is ridiculous.
3. Eat whole, nutritious food. Local / organic when possible. Less or no packaging or cocktail of questionable ingredients. Always buy organic soy/tofu and corn products as these are the most likely to be GMO.
4. Buy less. Choose well. Make it last. ~ Vivienne Westwood ~
Cher has given us an exclusive 20% off coupon code! This even applies to items that are already on sale! WOOT WOOT! What more could you possibly want?
Use Coupon Code JGMOM20 at checkout for 20% off your purchase.
(coupon code valid until Sept 30, 2015)
What are you going to try from Underables?
(Disclosure: No compensation was received for this post. Opinions expressed are my own.)