Cold and flu season is upon us, and it hit my family hard. I was sick for 6 weeks in September to October. Then my daughter picked up another cold and I got it. Gah! I was trying every natural remedy and immune booster I could find. Next year, I’m definitely going to take some more preventative methods to limit my chances of getting the flu.
Here is a round up of great immune boosters and remedies:
1. Oh Lardy has a fantastic round-up of natural cold and flu remedies here!
2. Here’s a honey, lemon, and ginger recipe for when you are hit with a cold or flu from Simple Green Smoothies.
3. Turmeric is known to have some amazing health benefits, so this “golden honey” recipe (raw honey and turmeric) from Healthy Food House is definitely worth a try! Honey, rather raw honey is known for its antiseptic, antibacterial, and antioxidant properties which are known to not only heal your body but also work as a potent skincare ingredient. Raw manuka honey for sale could be procured from online stores like Steens Honey, providing you all-round protection for your body!
4. I’ve made elderberry gummies (this recipe from Healthy Mama Info) to help boost my daughter’s immune system, so I definitely want to try making these Cold Busting Coconut Gummies with turmeric from The Cook’s Pyjamas next!
5. Thieves essential oils blend (proprietary blend from Young Living) can support your immune system when used in a diffuser to kill germs in your home, and when a few drops are rubbed with a carrier oil (I use coconut oil) on the bottoms of your feet.
6. This essential oils blend from Stephanie at Good Girl Gone Green is another immune system support. Mix it together in a container, and if you get a roller top, it makes for super easy application. This can be rubbed on the bottoms of the feet and/or down the spine, morning and night.
- carrier oil (e.g. sweet almond oil, extra virgin olive oil)
- 10-15 drops Oregano essential oil
- 10-15 drops Thieves essential oil (this is where I get my essential oils)
- empty 15 ml bottle (reused essential oil bottle)
- roller top for the bottle (Young Living has fabulous stainless steel roller tops) – optional
7. Coughing? Try this natural chest rub recipe with coconut oil, lavender, and cypress from Kristen at MIX Wellness.
8. Make your own cough syrup and cough drops with herbs from Mind Body Green.
9. Here’s an easy recipe for Lemon Ginger Immune Boosting Tea from Stephanie at Good Girl Gone Green.
What is your favourite recipe for immune boosters or combating colds and flus?
(Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you choose to purchase products via these links, a small percentage of the sale will be given to me at no extra cost to you. Thanks for supporting juicygreenmom.ca!)