Banishing wheat can be difficult when you just want to enjoy a muffin. I decided to try spelt flour as an wheat-free alternative (though it does contain gluten, so it’s not a gluten-free option), as I’d heard that it has a similar texture to wheat flour. I modified this recipe to make my own Spelt Blueberry Yogurt Muffins.
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1 1/2 cups yogurt (I used home-made yogurt made from whole milk)
- 1/2 cup organic coconut sugar (I used organic coconut sugar because of its lower glycemic index, however you could substitute other sugar)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup blueberries (I used organic wild frozen blueberries)
- Twelve hours before you plan to bake, mix the flour and the yogurt together in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Put muffin liners in your muffin tin, or grease with coconut oil.
- Add all other ingredients except blueberries and stir, being careful not to over-mix.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Fill muffin tins about 3/4 full. Bake 20-25 minutes (I baked for 22 minutes.)
Makes 12 regular sized muffins. (Note: spelt flour doesn’t rise the same as wheat flour, so you can fill the muffin tins fuller than you would when baking with wheat.) Our dozen lasted about 2 days, hope you enjoy them too!
(Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you choose to purchase products via these links, a small percentage of the sale will be given to me at no extra cost to you. Thanks for supporting juicygreenmom.ca!)