I was looking for a good moist chocolate cake recipe for my daughter’s 4th birthday party, but this year I wanted to try some of the grain-free recipes I’ve come across. I tried a black bean brownie recipe that was super rich and delicious, and I also tried an almond flour based recipe that was excellent. I took both of these for my coworkers to sample and got rave reviews for both! I couldn’t decide on just one – so I thought I would try combining the 2 recipes to see if it came out even better. I think it did!!!
I made my first buttercream icing for these cupcakes, and found naturally coloured sprinkles and Sunspire Sundrops to decorate. We had a Lalaloopsy theme, so I used the Sundrops (M&Ms to my daughter) to make buttonholes.
I think they turned out pretty cute! The cupcake recipe is below, and the buttercream icing recipe is below that – I based it on several different ones I’ve seen online, but wanted to use less sugar – still a hit with my daughter and the rest of the party people!
CHOCOLATE BROWNIE CUPCAKE RECIPE (grain-free)
1 1/4 cup almond flour
2 tbsp coconut flour
1 can black beans
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk (coconut or whole milk)
2/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup applesauce
1/4 cup coconut oil, butter, or ghee
1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life mini chips)
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Grease cupcake tins with coconut oil, butter, or ghee, or fill with cupcake liners.
- Mix the wet ingredients together with a mixer or food processor.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix again.
- Pour into cupcake tins, filling almost to the top (the dough will rise only a tiny bit while baking).
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove and let cool – then enjoy!
EASY BUTTERCREAM ICING
- Mix butter and sugar together in a food processor (or with a mixer) until smooth.
- Slowly add in 4 tbsp milk while continuing to mix.
- Lastly add in the vanilla. Icing should have a whipped butter consistency.
- Use on your cupcakes!
I have also now tried this recipe in cake form as well – which turned out delicious too!
What’s your favourite cupcake recipe?
(Disclosure: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and the Amazon.com.ca, Inc. Associates Program, affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com & amazon.ca. This post contains affiliate links. If you choose to purchase products via these links, a small percentage of the sale will be given to me at no extra cost to you. Thanks for supporting juicygreenmom.ca!)